Prep time: 40 mins Cook time: 15 mins Total time: 55 mins
Serves: 5 dozen
¼ tsp. baking powder
1 T. milk
3 large eggs, at room temperature
3 cups powdered sugar (confectioners' sugar), sifted
2 oz. (1/2 stick) butter, at room temperature
½ tsp. vanilla
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp. grated lemon zest
4½ cups sifted cake flour
For the glaze:
2 T. honey
¼ tsp. water
2 drops lemon extract
- Dissolve the baking powder in the milk in a small bowl and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs until they are pale and very thick, about 10 minutes. Keeping the mixer running, slowly add the sugar, about a cup at a time, and then the butter, one tablespoon at a time, while keeping the mixture well-blended. Beat in the milk mixture, salt, and grated lemon zest until just combined.
- Turning the speed of the mixer down to slow, add three cups of the flour; then turn off the mixer and add the remaining 1½ cups of flour and stir by hand. The dough will be very stiff. Transfer the dough to a board coated with a dusting of flour and knead until the dough is no longer sticky, adding more flour if necessary. Divide the dough in half and wrap one half in plastic wrap (to prevent it from drying out) while you begin work on the other half. We advise to chill the dough first before using the pin.
- Dust your work surface with powdered sugar. Roll the dough out to ¼ or ⅜ inch thick. Press the PastryMade Pin firmly into the dough, and then cut your desired shape around the mold. Place the cookie on a baking sheet that is covered with parchment paper. Repeat until the first dough ball is finished; then continue with the second batch of dough. Let the cookies stand uncovered for 24 hours.
- Bake the cookies, one sheet at a time, at 220 degrees. Do not let them get brown - if they start browning, turn the oven down to 200 degrees. Note: The baking process works best if the cookies are not on the bottom shelf of the oven. Let the cookies cool on wire racks.
- Make the glaze: Whisk together the honey, water, and lemon extract until you have a very light syrup consistency. Using a fine paintbrush, glaze the cookies with the honey-lemon glaze. Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.